Today marks 20 months on the wait list. There was a time when we never thought we’d see this day, but it’s okay. We’re still here, waiting, and it is what it is.
A few referrals went out this past week, so that certainly helps my attitude. In fact, we seem to finally be closing some of the gap between the time we have waited and the time those receiving referrals have waited. Just the other day a referral in our age range went out to someone who waited 22 months. We’re only two months away from 22 months, so that makes me feel pretty good!
To be honest, the realization that we might be just a couple of months away from referral also made me think, Holy crap, I’d better start doing some of the things I said I would do before we received a referral! So, in honor of 20 months of waiting, here are 20 things I should get my act together and do (in no particular order):
- Research international adoption clinics so we have someone ready to review medical information in a referral.
- Empty out closets in future child’s room and guest room; purchase and install new closet organizers; put significantly less crap back into said closets.
- Go through my bookshelf in preparation for moving it elsewhere in the house, and donate many books to charity.
- Prepare wills. Yes, I’m a lawyer, and no, we don’t have wills. (And yes, I’ve written them for other people. Go figure.)
- Look at our life insurance coverage and figure out if we should make adjustments.
- Re-do our dossier. I keep asking if we should be doing this and they keep telling us to wait. I have no idea why. I never thought I would be wanting to re-do our dossier…
- Plan a fall getaway with my hubby, probably to New York City. Paris was the original goal, but we just can’t swing it this year.
- Buy the deck furniture we’ve said we were going to buy for two summers now. If only we could figure out what we want and then make it non-expensive.
- Adopt another dog. Maybe.
- Enjoy these last months of just being a couple before being parents takes over our world.
- Lose 50 pounds. (Ha!)
- Get back to knitting that baby blanket I started but then stopped when the slowdown was announced.
- Spend a week relaxing in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, lounging and being lazy – week after next!
Wrap up my six months of double-duty at work and go back to doing only one job at a time.Oh wait, that ended today, so I can cross that one off the list already!
- Save money towards our travel costs for two trips to Ethiopia.
- Continue to explore using our new camera and develop some sort of photo storage system.
- Run another 5k.
- Read books I’ve been meaning to read, like “Adoption Parenting” and “Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child.” I haven’t been able to read these, emotionally, because I’ve felt like we were too far away from referral. But maybe I can try now.
- Hang the new mirror we got for our bedroom that has been sitting there for weeks, ready to be hung. It will complete our mini-makeover that started when I decided we needed a new duvet cover.
- Drink significant amounts of sangria at our friends’ annual Fourth of July party.