Today marks 18 months on the waiting list. There was a point in time when 18 months was on the very long end of our expected wait. Today we have no idea how much longer our wait will be. Our agency gave out an infant referral this past week (the first in five months – so that was encouraging to see), and that family waited 24 months. So I guess our best gauge at this point is to aim for 24 months. That takes us to November. I have to believe, though, that the wait will get longer. If we continue with a slow pace of referrals, that’s just the way the math works.
There is nothing new to report from Ethiopia. The announced slow down in processing cases is in effect. It will be a while before we see what this slowdown actually looks like and how it affects families and children in process.
I have been trying very hard to keep my chin up, but it’s getting more and more difficult. We have a call scheduled with our case worker this week, and I plan to ask her some questions about back-up options, such as changing our requested age range, adding another country to the mix, or adding a domestic process. We don’t really want to do any of those things, and frankly, I’m at the point where this is all pretty much just ticking me off. We made all of these decisions already – age range, international vs. domestic, which country, etc. – and here we are again, two years later and unsure of what will happen. But, we’ll do what we have to do to consider our options again. It seems like we have to at this point.