I ran some errands this morning, and stopped at the local mega-bookstore to pick up a gift. When I walked in, this book was displayed on the very first table inside the entrance:
This might not mean much to some people, but to me, it did. You see, Andre Agassi was my big crush as a teenager (and okay, into my 20s… and perhaps now as well.) As other teenage girls might drool and scream over an actor or a musician, I was infatuated with a tennis player.
Some highlights of my crushing:
- I LOVED his wild, long hair (SO cool in the late 80s/early 90s) and his flamboyant outfits.
- My grandmother actually picked up a lifesize cardboard cut-out of Andre for me from the local camera shop, back when he did a campaign for Canon. My mom still had this in her basement until a few years ago, when I finally gave the green light to let it go.
- I remember watching him win Wimbledon in 1992. I was in Germany staying with a host family for a month as a senior in high school, and I am fairly certain they thought I was crazy as I screamed and yelled and (of course) cried when he won.
- I was SO MAD when he married Brooke Shields. I mean, seriously, that woman was no good for him! She ruined his career (and apparently the drug use occurred during his marriage to her). I would have been a much more suitable wife for him, for sure.
- My mom and I saw him play in person at a tournament in DC shortly after I moved to Maryland. I remember crying like a crazy teenager. I was 23 or 24. I remember my mom being embarrassed and saying, “Kelly, get it together!”
- He is definitely the driving reason behind my semi-secret thing for bald men. I’ve always told Craig he’ll have my support if and when the time comes when he needs to just shave his head. (And seriously, it’s SO much better than when men try to fight it.)
- He’s doing great things in his retirement by helping inner-city youth obtain quality educations. I’m glad he’s not just another rich retired athlete doing nothing but spending money.
I think he’ll always be my crush. I can’t wait to dig into the book, even though I have 4 or 5 other books I had planned to get to first. The timing was perfect, as I just finished my latest book club selection (The Eight by Katherine Neville – I’d recommend it if you are into intellectual mysteries/thrillers), so I think I’ll be digging in tonight!
Who was/is your big celebrity crush?