the week in review

I talked with my boss this morning. As I expected, she was very supportive and offered to help however she could. I typed up a letter for her to sign that verified my employment, title, and salary. She also signed a statement that our adopted child can be added to our health insurance and all that jazz. We both sort of chuckled about that one because my organization is a small nonprofit and we change health plans basically every year due to costs. So, we both know that the insurance we currently have is probably not the insurance that we’ll have in two years when our child comes home. But this will suffice for now. It was a bit of an awkward conversation, but it wasn’t too bad. I did tell her that I wasn’t really sharing this news with others in the office just yet. I think I want to wait until we are officially approved before telling people who aren’t yet aware of our plans. Right now it all seems so hypothetical.

We haven’t repaired the cement wall yet, but we did have our handyman/contractor come by and he’s going to give us an estimate. We could probably just spackle it to get through the inspection, but I think we might go ahead and fix it now so that this won’t happen again (and it will if it’s just a spackle job). We’ll see how his estimate comes out and how soon he can do the work. We might have him do a couple of other projects for us as well, although we’re really trying not to spend money right now.

This morning I called the fire marshal for what I believe is the 7th time. This time I finally got the inspector’s cell phone number, but of course he didn’t answer that either. The agency faxed a letter a week ago formally requesting the inspection, so I’m not sure what the hold up is at this point. Persistence is definitely required of those going through the adoption process, that’s for sure!

My original goal of completing everything in one month is definitely not going to be met, but that’s okay. At this point I’ll be happy if it gets done in the two months the agency originally suggested. We found out this week that Craig’s physical appointment was cancelled because he is considered a new patient with our doctor, who isn’t taking new patients, because he hasn’t seen her in a couple of years. (He’s one of those men who never goes to the doctor.) So he had to schedule an appointment with another doctor, a week later, but it’s a “new patient appointment” and he has no idea if she’ll actually do a full physical or complete the paperwork at that appointment. I have my physical on Monday and I’m going to plead with my doctor to also see him. I think it would be so much easier if we’re trying to coordinate the paperwork with only one doctor instead of two. I’ve seen her for years and I really like her. Hopefully she’ll agree to take him back as a patient.

Last night at my therapy appointment we talked through the letter my therapist needs to send to the agency. It was an interesting exercise to talk about why I initially started therapy, what my goals were, how things have progressed, and so on. She is wonderfully supportive and I know whatever she writes will be perfect, but I also appreciated the fact that she wanted to include me in the exercise. She is great about recognizing the value of self-awareness and personal development, and really, those are the main reasons why I continue with therapy although I no longer consider myself to be depressed. Next week I’m going to try to remember to bring the instructions for the autobiography so we can talk through that as well.

Tomorrow is our day-long educational workshop at The Barker Foundation. We’re both looking forward to it. I think we should learn a lot and we’re eager to meet other adoptive couples since we don’t really know any (in real life, that is). Craig hasn’t done the reading or completed the pre-workshop questions yet. Grrrr. I’m not quite sure when he thinks he’s going to get it done, since we’re hosting a poker night tonight with some friends (some local, and some who are visiting from their work assignment in China) and we have to leave the house by 7:30am tomorrow. Oh well – that’s on him!

This entry was posted in adoption, home study. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to the week in review

  1. Erica says:

    I’m so glad to hear that things went well with your boss. I totally understand why you would want to keep things to yourself for a bit. It’s kind of weird at first; like talking about a wish. I hope you are able to get in touch with the fire marshall for your inspection soon. I know that is frustrating. Just remember that it’ll get done…it just may take time. 🙂 It just feels like forever because we are in such a hurry. Have fun at your class! Can’t wait to hear about it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s