Craig and I were DIY-ers this weekend, accomplishing a number of projects on the house. In two short days, we completed these projects:
1. Replaced master bedroom closet system, which involved unloading the closet, removing the old system (one shelf and one rod, with a zillion drywall-anchored screws that were a pain to remove), spackling and sanding the holes (twice), priming and painting the spackled areas, installing the new system (from the Container Store), and loading it back up. This project probably took a grand total of 2.5 hours to complete, but it had to be spread over about 48 hours due to drying, sanding, etc. time. And it only involved two trips to Home Depot and Lowe’s.
2. Shaved down the top of the master bathroom door, which wouldn’t shut all the way.
3. Moved the toilet paper holder in the 2nd bathroom. This, of course, again involved spackling, sanding, priming and painting. But now it’s in a much better place.
4. Planted tulip bulbs for next spring.
5. Dug up a drainage area at the bottom of the sidewalk and back deck, where water tends to pool. We then put two different types of rocks to help with filtering the water into the ground.
6. Added a couple more hoses to our watering system in the backyard.
7. Connected a hose to the dehumidifier in the basement so that instead of having to empty it every day or two, it now drains into the sump pump.
8. Mowed the lawn.
9. Cleaned the house.
With all of that, I still managed to do a little bit of fall clothes shopping, pick up the dry cleaning, mail a package, grocery shop, and cook dinner. We took a break Saturday night to grab dinner and see “Gone Baby Gone.” It was good, but very dark and gritty.
Here are the before and after shots of the closet. The new system will help a great deal, since we only have one regular (ie, not walk-in) closet in the bedroom, and I’m trying not to use the other bedroom closets for our stuff. I like the drawers the best!